Monday, July 11, 2011
Deathwing, Black Templar Style Update
It's been a few weeks since I first posted about this project, and I wanted to share an update! I've gotten the last three Terminator squads done, and that includes the "Command Squad". The squad that Belial accompanies, really, that also has the Apothecary (shown above) in it.
Using Charadon Granite as the mid-color for my blacks really has paid off, I think. The black has a bit of warmth and life to it that I like. Pre-mixing the highlight also has saved me quite a bit of time and it's nice to have the consistency of a standard paint pot color in a custom mixed color.
On to the updates!
For the above two squads, my main goal was to keep the quality and color consistent. I'm pleased with the way they came out, though I have to admit, at times I think I went a little overboard with the "litanies" painted on their armor. My client was happy with them though, so not too much to complain about. A neat little accomplishment, though, is that I was able to make the paint scheme of each Storm Shield unique. I tried to for that and I'm happy it worked out, as it keeps the feel of pride in the marine's gear.
I put a bit more effort into these guys, especially the Banner Sgt. and the Apothecary, pictured below.
I'm very pleased with the way the Apothecary turned out, and had fun with the Banner's freehand. The blending of the cloth of the banner came out better than I expected as well.. Detailed shots below.
Detail of Apothecary
And for O'Shashar, here's a close-up of a Thunderhammer. They were based with Boltgun Metal, and were washed with Badab Black. The handles were painted with Cryx Bane Base, washed with Badab Black, and then key details were picked out using a couple of thin glazes of Gryphonne Sepia.
More to come on these in the near future as the Devastators are at 75% on my worktable, and my deadline is approaching!